A Tennessee wedding chapel near the Smoky Mountains
(865) 376-0113 • 1200 Paint Rock Road, Kingston, TN 37763

The Chapel of the Good Shepherd

The Chapel of the Good Shepherd is an expanded replica of the Anglican Chapel in Rugby, Tennessee, built in 1880. The original design, by Cornelius Onderdunk, the resident architect, represents the architectural style called “Carpenter Gothic.” Symbolic elements were included in all church buildings, and this chapel was no exception. Three crosses dominate the chapel ceiling, representing the three crosses at Calvary. The steeple and “gothic” windows were intended to point toward heaven. Three gables and three steps to the platform represent the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. The “rosette” stained glass window, done by Chris Myers, depicts the staff and crown illustrating the roles of Christ as King and Shepherd.

Timber frame construction is based on building principles from medieval times. The superstructure is held together by oak dowels without nails or screws. Pecky cypress from the swamps of Louisiana was transported to the current location to make up the wainscoting, and vertical grain yellow pine was used for the floor. The seating capacity of 200 has housed concerts, presentations and over 500 weddings since its completion in 1999. Downstairs are dressing rooms for bride and groom, and a family parlor. This elegant Tennessee chapel is the ideal location for indoor weddings.

Just outside the Chapel is a gaslit, tumbled marble heart-shaped courtyard with Gazebo overlooking the lake. The heart-shaped courtyard joins the Chapel to a large indoor reception and dining area in the Lion and the Lamb. The 200 seat formal dining room, along with the courtyard and Chapel make the perfect location for weddings and receptions. To reach the Wedding and Events Office please click here!